Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Ten on Tuesday - August 5

1. Pregnant people. I know a few ladies who are getting ready to have their babies and it is really cool. Although I know that they are all swelling up, uncomfortable, and/or bored out of their minds on bed rest, I think it is pretty exciting anticipating the new arrivals. Of course that is easy to do when you are not the one who cannot get into any shoes other than flipflops. Anyway, for some reason it makes me nervous - sort of like the evening that KatMac called to tell me her water broke and she was in line for the operating room to have her c-section. I was excited but very nervous too. I can only imagine what the Canuck thought when I called her while I was in labor and talked until my contractions got too bad for my feel good drugs to work anymore. At any rate - I am thinking about you all.

2. Table food is not really easy to do when you do not cook much. I am having a hard time coming up with things that Vivian actually wants to eat. She hates the Gerber 3rd stage foods - the kid gags as soon as she tastes it. She does okay with the regular applesauce and cottage cheese and she likes finger foods like banana slices and some of the Gerber snack foods. Yogurt is a big hit and whole milk is working for her too. Hopefully we can come up with some better options. As you can see - food is still messy, now that she gets to participate it seems that smearing food on herself is the most fun you can have at meal time.





3. Bananas are one of Vivian's favorite finger foods. The funny thing is that I can slice up a bunch and put them on her tray, but once you take the highchair tray off - this is what you get.


4. My weekend was pretty darn good. I packed us a picnic lunch (with Rick's help - he made the lemonade), we dropped Vivian off at Grandma and Pop's, and took the 4-Wheeler up on North Mountain for a picnic. At first it looked like we might get rained out, but the weather cooperated and we had a wonderful afternoon. The place we went is one of my favorites - from this place you can see for a long ways in all directions. There are no houses in sight just trees, rocks, and mountains. It is a great place to relax and regroup. I took a couple pictures of us on my camera phone - I just need to figure out how to get them to the blog.

5. Unfortunately, the weekend is way too short and it is pretty much over on Saturday evening because Sunday morning is so busy trying to get Rick packed up and ready to go. We were church skippers on Sunday - it was our church picnic and it was really too warm to be comfortable outside to sit through an hour long service.

6. The booshes are finally done. Woohoo for me.

7. I started working on finishing our kitchen cabinets. The last time I worked on them was right before I found out I was pregnant - so there was definitely a long work stoppage. Hopefully I can finish them up in the next couple of weeks. I really hate not being able to work as hard as I once could, but I guess if they have waited this long, a few more weeks will not matter much.

8. This is Rick's eighth week at the police academy - 8 more to go. They are doing defensive tactics right now and he was all bruised up this past weekend. I anticipate more bruises for the next two weeks of training. At least he is not fighting with the female officers - they are allowed to bite and have chewed up this one poor guy. I doubt his wife will be too happy about that.

9. Our neighbor Danielle is leaving for college this weekend. She is going to a school in Washington State. It is hard to believe that our little Danielle is all grown up. Seriously, we moved in at about the same time they did. When I first met her, she had come over to the house to borrow a hammer because she needed to fix her bookshelf that got damaged in the move. When she walked into the house (which was totally torn to pieces when we were remodeling three years ago) she exclaimed "What happened to your house?" It was funny, although I think it embarrassed her a little at the time (it must have scared her too, because when she returned the hammer, she just left it on the porch). Anyway, we wish you all the best Danielle, we will miss you, and you have tremendous talent that should take you far. Enjoy your new adventure.


10. While I am thinking about college - isn't it weird that we were in law school not so very long ago. I do not miss law school, but I do miss the people. Even though we graduated, I still feel like I have something to go and do every fall (I also still have that dream that I forgot about a class and it is finals week and I haven't done anything for it all semester - creepy). Our lives have changed so much since then - but it is nice to remember how we were then too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a nice writing and I really enjoyed it. Can't get over how big Viv is getting. She is certainly her Daddy's girl! Love

TwinMommyLawchick said...

I have the dream that I missed or am in the process of missing a final. I swear we should all get benefits from Social Security for PTSD. But I miss all ya'll too. I was thinking about flag football the other night.

BTW, I think Vivian is looking more like you now!