I know it has been too long between posts when my Dad complains that there is nothing new. I have been pretty swamped so this 10 will catch you all up on what is going on.
1. Roseola Infantum - have you heard of it? Well last week I got an education. Seems this is a little ole viral infection that older infants get. They have a high fever (102-105 range) and some sniffles for several days and then as soon as they are "better" (I use this term loosely), they break out in a nasty red rash. On Tuesday evening (last week) I picked Vivian up from the sitter and she was running a fever and CRANKY. So I called the doctor and they told me to come in Wednesday morning. Well Tuesday night her fever was 102.7 and 103 on the intervals I checked it and I had to give her a bath to cool her down. So after spending a very sleepless night and rallying at 5:00 am to get ready and get to the doctor at 8:15 am for the walking wounded night clinic (seriously I have never seen parents looking worse) we waited until 9:00 and then got in to see the doctor at which time they took her temperature and it was normal. So he was almost ready to cut us loose when the nurse re-took the temperature and she was 104.
Well at that point he was definitely more concerned and wanted a urine sample and bloodwork. My daughter refused to pee and then he could not get a catheter in. So we waited, and waited, and waited until 2:30 pm when she finally obliged and peed. While we were waiting we had to run over to the hospital for the bloodwork and it turns out that Vivian inherited deep veins from her mother and is also a hard stick - luckily Joe (who has drawn blood from me many, many times) was available and got her on the first try. Needless to say, sitting around a doctors office all morning is boring for 11 month olds and 29 year olds. Thank goodness for Nurse Belinda who hooked me up with some pizza the staff ordered in - I was starving.
After all that excitement, everything was normal. Now I don't know about you all, but finding out there is nothing wrong with a kid who has a 104 temperature is confusing. I was glad the tests showed nothing, but if it was nothing, then what the heck is wrong? So we went home with orders to call in Friday if nothing changed.
And nothing changed. Wednesday night, Thursday, Friday morning all the same. Fever would stay down when in the middle of the Motrine dose but spike up again 45 minutes before it was time to give more. So Dr. Bob called in an antibiotic just in case the bloodwork missed something and she took a dose at 4:30 Friday evening. At bed time when I was getting ready to change her clothes, I see this nasty rash covering her belly and back and working its way up her scalp. Well, I thought maybe she was allergic to the antibiotic and called back in. Dr. Jay called back and diagnosed her over the phone (of course even he admitted that it is much easier to diagnose after the rash breaks out). By Sunday afternoon the rash was gone and Vivian is back to being Vivian again.
2. Needless to say, I did not get Vivian's dress made for Treasure Mountain Festival. I am bummed, but I will do it next year. I found a really pretty print (oddly enough red roses - hmmm....) and I even braved the Mennonite sewing store in Dayton, Virginia to find it (just a tip - Mennonite sewing women are not impressed by the fact you own a sewing machine - seriously it is intimidating but they have absolutely beautiful fabric).
3. Treasure Mountain Festival - I had looked forward to TMF because, quite frankly, the main activities happen pretty close to our house and a delicious meal is as close as the town parking lot - but Vivian's health took priority and we just had to do things as we could. Since Dr. Jay said we could take her out some while she had the rash we decided to do a few things once the weather warmed up a bit on Saturday. So we went over to Ft. Seybert and checked out the scene.

Here we are in front of the "fort" - okay it is not the real fort, but a reenactment fort that they build every year to burn down during the reenactment of the burning of Ft. Seybert. A bit of history for you all - Ft. Seybert was a settlers fort in the South Fork valley that was attacked by Delaware Indians 250 years ago. The Indians burnt the fort, killed some settlers, and took several prisoners which they marched across WV to the Ohio River. Some of the prisoners eventually escaped captivity (among them were some of my ancestors) and they returned to Pendleton County. Legend has it that the Indians got tired of carrying some of the loot they took from the fort and buried it in the mountains overlooking the fort with plans to come back later - hence the term Treasure Mountain Festival.
4. Since Vivian did not get her TMF dress, her Daddy found some other coolness to outfit her in. The choker necklace is supposed to protect your neck and the faux coonskin cap is well, a necessity I guess. Rick was real disappointed that the faux fur was not more realistic (and no dear, I don't know why the tail of the cap has a purple tint to it but I do not think Vivian minds).

5. We also took in the parade in Franklin. My brother Ashby was marching with the Alumni band. I love this group (they pick the song they are going to play one hour before the parade) and if I seriously thought I could march my butt down the street carrying a drum I so would (I was a drummer in the marching band for part of high school and it was really not that bad). Anyway I think I will leave the marching to Ashby - those drums are heavy.
6. Vivian's latest craze is pointing. As you can see, she is working with Rick so he will be ready to go when he comes home for good. Notice her cheeks are a bit red - nice.
7. Krissy - I know you all are taking off for Hawaii today. I was just thinking of you all and wish you the best. Missed you at TMF. I did get to see some folks I have not seen in a while, heck I even rehashed some of our old 4-H camp song creations with Heidi Jon (I knew that I was not the only one who still hums and sings them from time to time). I also saw Johanna and her baby (the real shock was Johanna with long hair) and I saw Wendy B. for the first time in ages (she is a nurse at RMH) - I guess I will have to keep you posted on all these things and I will do my best. Call me when you get settled in and we can figure out which hours I am not allowed to call during:)
8. Thank you Mom for keeping me sane last week. You are a great help and a good sport when Vivian is not at her best.
9. Being back at work after taking off to take care of Vivian is kind of hard - I was gone, I just was not doing anything fun and now I am back and not doing anything fun. At least I am not far behind. I would much rather be chillin at home with the Vivo.
10. Rick called this evening and did not have such a good day on the driving course. I think he would be a much better driver if I were there to tell him how to do it:) We have had some interesting drives together and I have heard some pretty far fetched explanations for things such as why we are being passed on the right while cruising in the "I am going faster than the speed limit lane" on the interstate. He so could have used my help today. But he is doing fine. As for his square dancing skills from Saturday night - I don't know what will help that (more practice I suppose:)
Finally, have a great week everyone. And Dad - you can post a comment you know:)

Any other complaints will have to be taken up with the Vivo - and she doesn't mess around.
7 comments:
Hi~~I'm sorry Vivian has been sick but glad she is better. She is so cute and so much fun for you, I'm sure. Keep posting. Nancy Lee
Aloha! We made it. We almost didn't. We were a little late getting to the airport this morning, and then stood in the wrong airline check-in. Who knew that a Northwest flight operated by Delta, really meant operated by Delta, not Northwest....Anyhow, we got checked in and to our gate just in time for our boarding section.
Isaac was a wonderful traveler. We had Benadryl on hand just in case, but it wasn't needed.
So, we're here. We're tired. We've been up for 21 hrs now. And now we're ready for bed, even if it is only 8pm local time. It's still 2am to me. (6hr difference.)
Glad Vivian is feeling better...Hope you have a better week.
~Krissy
Love it. I won't mess with the Vivo.
I'm so sorry you've had such a bad week. I hope it's better this week.
As for Oct, I'm there sister. Name a dinner place and time and I'll be there!!
I'm sorry that Vivian has been so sick, I'm glad that she is doing better!
BTW...as for October, let me know the plans and Jackson and I are there- I'll get details from Katie.
Sounds as if you have been really busy-glad to hear Vivian is feeling better-Ricky's hair is almost as long as Vivian's-(HaHa)
Love the coonskin cap and the protective choker. I'm glad Vivian is recovering. We can't wait to see you guys next week!
Post a Comment