Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Another Wednesday Update - this time Ultrasound Pictures

I had a doctor's appointment today and all is well. The baby weighs 13 ounces (how crazy is that) and all the measurements were okay and now estimate a due date of October 24.

I have also gained some weight and am back to where I started at my first appointment so that is okay (I am chalking the gain up to the 13 ounces that the baby weighs rather than the two donuts per morning diet I have been on - I figured that was way better than drinking ensure which the doctor quasi-threatened me with at the last appointment. Don't ask me to do the math for you, we all know lack of math skills led me to be a lawyer in the first place).

Okay - here are the pictures.



This one is of the baby's foot (forgive the sidewaysness - blogger is being difficult this evening). This is very significant to me because I have been having some serious pain and stretching around my belly button. Turns out that the kid evidently likes to put both feet right behind my belly button and push outward - I saw it during the ultrasound and now it all makes sense. Just wish it would stop soon because it is not really comfortable.




Here is one of the baby's hands. I guess it was waiving or something.




Finally this one requires a bit of imagination. It is a picture of the baby looking towards you. To the right you can see a circle area that is the baby's eye. After that you can make out the nose and part of the mouth. The other half of the face is hiding behind the placenta. At the end of the ultrasound, the doctor gave us a printout of the pictures and was going back through labeling them and he got to the one posted above and goes "what is that" - so don't feel bad if you can't see it.

We hoped for better pictures, but the baby seemed to have its face planted firmly into the placenta throughout the ultrasound and was not very photogenic today. I am convinced that the baby was hiding its face today because it mistook the ultrasound for Vivian who has a bad habit of crawling on my belly while I am in bed. Since the doctor could not see a profile of the face and because Vivian was on the small side, he wants to repeat the ultrasound in about 7 or so weeks and hopefully the kid will cooperate better. During the ultrasound, the doctor did switch it over to 3D which would have been really cool had the baby turned the right way - we did get to see a hand in 3D and it was very clear and neat to see like that.
Sorry to disappoint kids - but we did not find out whether the baby is a boy or girl. We are content in knowing that it is healthy and we will find out the rest soon enough (sorry to ruin it for everyone else - just kidding Jenny :).

Week 21 is now underway. I will keep you posted.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I can't believe you are not finding out whether you have a "he" or a "she" in there! But I guess that is your decision since you are the mom! Glad things look good- I'm thinking boy...

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear all is well, and you the baby are doing fine. Vivian will be such a good big sister! The pictures are great. Keep up the good work and I will talk again soon. Love, Nancy Lee

Katie said...

I'm glad things went well at the appointment for the most part, even if you don't want any cool pre-baby gifts because you won't find out what you're having;) I confess I can't make out anything in that one picture.