Thursday, October 22, 2009

Two



Dear Vivian,

What a wild October this turned out to be. Two years ago we were welcoming you into our lives and our world changed, this year we welcomed Phoebe to our family and your world changed too. I really did not get much chance to prepare you for us bringing Phoebe home. I guess I was waiting until closer time to try to really talk to you about stuff, but God had other plans for us. I must say that I have been so proud of the way you have handled things. Although you are only two you seem to understand so much.

You have made great strides this past year in everything you do. I cannot get over how big you have gotten. I especially realize it when I hold your sister and see how small you started out. You are very strong and fearless. You love to play. You particularly enjoy playing with balloons or boons as you call them. You are doing well with your speech therapy, however I am amazed at how good your non-verbal communication is and how well you pick up on the non-verbal cues from other people. I love watching your facial expressions and it is so funny watching you figure things out. You have a real independent streak and want to try to do things for yourself.

You are also very meticulous. I really noticed this during your birthday week when you were opening your presents. You had to get your present out of the packaging, look it over, play with it, and then went back to check out the package it came in before you would even think about opening something else. You take so much joy out of the little things in life. I believe we can all learn a thing or two from you about that.

You still love everything about nature. Outside is by far your favorite place to be. Lately you have been entertaining yourself with black walnuts - leave it to you to find the messiest thing in our yard (and in Grandma & Pop's yard) to fall in love with. You love to have us smell flowers you pick and you also like the occasional gravel or small rock. I guess the neat thing about you in the outdoors is that every trip is an expedition for you and you are always so disappointed when it is time to go inside.

These past two years with you have been such a blessing. I am so happy to be your Mom and I love you very much.

5 comments:

Krissy said...

Aww, how sweet! Happy Belated Birthday, Vivian! I'm sure you're being a terrific big sister!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Vivian. I would love to see you and your family but am so glad your Mommy keeps me posted this way on you and your life. You are such a sweet girl! Love, Nancy Lee

Katie said...

Happy belated birthday, Vivian! Although early October wasn't exactly as planned, I'm so glad everything turned out for the best. Miss you guys.

Kimberly said...

Happy Birthday Vivian. Gotta love our independent girls!

Jenny said...

Happy belated Birthday Vivian!! Hope you had a great day. Carrie- she is so pretty!